All students are expected to participate in their school music program. After one year in the orchestra, a student may continue to be a member
without auditioning again. A student's eighth grade year in school will be their last
year's eligibility for membership.
Scholarship and study grant winners are expected to play in the
orchestra during the following year.
- Attendance is mandatory at all rehearsals, concerts and dress
rehearsals, unless excused for the following reasons:
- Family Emergency
- Severe Weather
- School Performance
- To report an absence, call or e-mail Ms. Peach at (618) 792-8540 or email to: email@example.com by 5:00pm on the day of rehearsal.
- If an absence is not reported, it will be considered an unexcused absence.
- Students are allowed a total of five (5) absences (excused and
unexcused combined) per season. After five (5) absences, the student
may have their seating or part changed or may be dismissed from the youth
- Unexcused absence from a dress rehearsal or performance will be
evaluated by the director and/or manager for continued membership in the
- Leaving your instrument at school is NOT considered to be an excused
absence; you are expected to still be at rehearsal.
- Students are expected to arrive at rehearsals 10-15 minutes early for
tuning and warm-up.
Rehearsals begin at 6:15.
- If you arrive at 6:15, you are late!
- Rehearsals will last from 6:15-8:00pm, unless otherwise announced.
- Each student is responsible for his/her own music. DO NOT COUNT ON
YOUR STAND PARTNER TO HAVE THE MUSIC FOR YOU!
- Students will be permitted
one replacement copy of music should theirs become lost or damaged.
- Bring pencils to make markings in your music, no pens or colored
- Final concert seating will be determined during sectionals by the
sectional coaches' recommendations to the director.
- Seating will be based on the sectional coaches' recommendation and
the director's evaluation of the student's attendance and cooperation
- Absence from sectionals WILL affect your chair position!
- NO EATING, DRINKING, CHEWING GUM OR READING will be allowed in the
- DO NOT BRING CELL PHONES INTO THE REHEARSAL ROOM! Cell phones
should stay with your belongings in the lobby area and only be used before
and after rehearsal or during breaks.
- No talking or disturbing others, especially when you are not playing.
Respect other people;s instruments and the facilities at the rehearsal site at all times.
- If rules of conduct are repeatedly broken, after a call to parents,
the student can be dismissed from the youth symphony.
Concert Dress Code
- Appropriate dress is required for all performances. Unless otherwise
- Black dress slacks/skirt
- AYS polo shirt
- Black dress shoes
- Black jeans, mini-skirts, tennis shoes and white t-shirts are NOT acceptable
- If you need to purchase an AYS polo shirt, please contact Ms. Peach.
Rehearsals will take place on
Monday evenings from 6:00-7:30pm in the Orchestra room at Alton Middle
School (in the Annex-located on the left of the parking lot), 2200 College
Ave, Alton, IL 62002. Rehearsals begin at 6:00, so please arrive early so your child can be tuned and find his/her seat.
Concert Dress Code
- White Button Down (Long Sleeve) Dress Shirt
- Trousers/Pants (no jeans)
- Black Dress Shoes and Socks (no sneakers)
- White Dress Blouse (Long Sleeve)
- Black Pants/Skirt (knee length) – NO CAPRI’s
- Black Dress Shoes, black tights or socks
On Concert Night, Members of the
AJrYS, should arrive no later than 6:15 to tune and set up on stage. All
students should plan to stay for the entire concert, as they will experience
hearing the Alton Youth Symphony – a group they could be in within the
next couple of years.